Sydney’s urbanised inner west is a great place to grab a coffee, head out for dinner or enjoy some top night life but did you know it’s also a fantastic place to explore the great outdoors and community life?
Amidst the buzz of traffic and urban living a more relaxed and natural place exists – the GreenWay.
The GreenWay is a 5.8km environmental and active travel corridor linking the Cooks River at Earlwood with the Parramatta River at Iron Cove. The GreenWay mostly follows the route of the Inner West Light Rail and Hawthorne Canal and features bike paths and foreshore walks, cultural and historical sites, cafes, bushcare sites and a range of parks, playgrounds and sporting facilities.
The Greater Sydney Commission has identified the GreenWay as the no. 1 priority Green Grid project in the Eastern Sydney District Plan released in March 2018.
After over 10 years of campaigning by the Inner West community and councils, $24 million in state and local government funding has now been secured to complete the southern section of the GreenWay from Parramatta Road through Lewisham West and Dulwich Hill to the Cooks River. Design and construction of the new 3.2 km shared path is commencing in 2018 and is due for completion in 2021.
The GreenWay also has a safe walking and cycling path, relaxing recreational areas and plays host to a variety of community and arts projects. It’s a place to relax in nature or hang out and meet the interesting and varied people in your neighbourhood.
The Cadigal-Wangal people are the traditional owners of the lands in the GreenWay.
It’s your GreenWay so get out there, and get involved!
Find out what you can do in the GreenWay by clicking on a link below.
- Learn more about the GreenWay – what is a greenway anyway?
- Get on your bike – cycle the existing shared pathway and local streets
- Find out about the Inner West Light Rail extension
- Get walking – spot some local wildlife
- Help restore habitat for local wildlife – become a GreenWay Bushcare volunteer
- Reduce your impact on climate change by using the GreenWay
- Find out if your school is involved with the exciting GreenWay Schools Sustainability Program
- Check out the local GreenWay arts scene
- See what Events are happening in the GreenWay
- Volunteer to help maintain the GreenWay.